Monday, June 23, 2008

Never Old

When I was in Montana, I couldn’t help but stare at the mountains, all of the time. I took picture upon picture upon picture of the landscape – hoping, attempting, to capture the beauty and the splendor of the mountains in the frame of my camera. Each time failing to do the snow capped peaks and the majestic grassy cascades any justice. So I would close my eyes and take a deep breath in. And then look around and shake my head. “It never gets old...”

How many I, or one of my group members, used that exact phrase. “It never gets old.” We could never get our fill of the incredibleness of creation that surrounded us. Waiting for the mountains to seem like a tree or a bird – just a piece of the scenery, each day we were amazed at how much the view still took our breath away. How many times I would look at sun melting warmly over the hills and praise God for his creation. And I wonder, if maybe it never got old me, because it never got old to God.

How much God must delight when His children delight in the things He’s made – created for us to marvel at and see Him in. I wonder if He just waits. Waits for one of His own to raise her eyes to the sky with arms lifted high and the words “God, I love you. I love that you made me. I’m speechless at all I see. Indeed, all that you made is good!” resting on her lips. Smiling as she wonders how she can even be worth His time – have any significance or beauty in comparison to such incredible creation. And her praises – they never get old. God listens with a smile on His face saying “Say it again! Love me again! Praise me again! It doesn’t get old!”

For as long as the view was fresh and breathtaking, for as long as my eyes and my words were full of awe, God would get the praise. And my praise never got old to Him. And so the reason for praise never got old to me. Father God, may all you have created, may all your great works, never get old...

No comments: