Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A 2011 Blogging Challenge and Adventure

At one point a friend of mine, whose blogs are fantastically consistent, spent 15 days blogging along side another friend of her own about a set of pre-determined topics. I found this to be an intriguing task and considered it. However, I tend to be kind of picky about what I blog – waiting for the inspiration to strike and wanting them to say something specific, something true. If you’ve at all frequented or even visited my blog before, you’ve probably noticed it is, perhaps the most curious blog you’ve ever read. Sometimes I say little about, well, anything. Sometimes I talk about me. Sometimes I talk about Jesus. Sometimes I talk about me AND Jesus...and almost always I am spewing the thoughts making crazy circles in my head into some moderately cohesive form for the world to find and read (terrifying for you and I both, I understand). So, I sort of tabled the idea for the time.

Nevertheless, two things recently happened. First of all, I came by an article attached to a blog, where the blogger lists some 50-ish things she would want to read about in somebody’s blog. The list (though containing some which seemed a little redundant) was fantastic. And, it was real. She, a creative writer and frequent blogger, wanted to read about real things. I was intrigued by this list. Second, I had a discussion with someone about the fact that, as a person holding a youth ministry degree, I was capable of doing many things which were otherwise unspecified on my transcripts. For example, I can make a sermon-illustration out of almost any story, analogy, random object, etc. Granted – some are not as good or legit as others, but it is possible. This was followed by a chuckle and the words “It’s probably true, but I would like to see this!”

And so, I have decided to do a couple things. First, using the list of 50-some things and realizing there are also 50-some weeks in the year, once a week (hopefully the day of the week will become consistent, though this early on, I am hesitant to say which one), I will blog specifically in reference to the list. I might go in order, I might not. But you can’t see the list from where you’re sitting, so you probably won’t know. :O) So, for the next 52 weeks, have fun learning about me and my life in potentially real ways as I agree to follow a “script”. But, if you know me at all, you also know I would never willingly spend 52 weeks disclosing potentially real stories about myself merely for the sake of a list. I don’t know who all reads my blog and I like to have relationships before disclosure. LoL. So, in meeting the challenge of my friend, each of them will also be devos of sorts. Each I would like to see related back to the faith that I claim...And I am gearing towards them all being relatively legit. No floofy connections for the sake of making one.

I am hoping you will stick around my adventure. Because I am! And, of course, feel free to come back anytime in-between for other updates on scrawls that I have otherwise abandoned (when I first started blogging, I did so frequently and told no-one it existed – merely so I could get stuff out of my head). I am sure those will always chronicle my actual and current life adventures. Happy New Year to you all!

No comments: