Saturday, July 14, 2012

Thirsty



It is a dry summer.

Even dryer than last summer if even if it is possible and if at all I had to guess.

And not only is it dry, I would dare say it is painfully dry. 

It’s one thing to be hot and sticky... But the sun-scorched grass, which is sharp as rocks, beginning to fall away to a dusty plain...somehow that is another story all together.

It hurts almost to look out at a season which should be teaming with life and instead see such an array of near death. 

You can almost see creation pleading for water.  Longing for refreshment.  Begging to be fulfilled that they may grow and produce as it was created to.  It is so...thirsty.


I am too.

It’s a dry season for me.

Endlessly dry.  Or perhaps just an endless season. 

And perhaps I would muddle through a simple dry season – they do come, this I know. But I’m not only dry; I would dare say I’m painfully dry.

It’s one thing to have a spell.  To have the reality of “dry” in place.  But somehow to have dry not move into restoration but to a life that’s falling away... seems like a whole another story all together.

It hurts; it confuses, to recognize a season which should be teaming with life... and instead be terrified of the reality of impending death.

I can see, I can feel, my soul pleading for water.  Longing for refreshment.  Begging to be fulfilled so that I can grow and produce as I was created to.  I am just, so...thirsty. 


How can I recognize such thirst, such longing, and still be so dry?  So unsatisfied?  Where is the passion, excitement, and joy of a life characterized by the presence of God and the reality of his streams of mercy and graces which fall like rain?  I am thirsty for God-alive (Psalm 42:1 – MSG).  So thirsty.  Where does one go to be filled? 


Psalm 42

No comments: