Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dangerous Permission

“God, You can have all of me...do what you will.” I can’t tell you how many times I’ve given God those words as both casual, half-meant promises and full-fledged, heartfelt, thought-out prayers. On either accord I always find myself in a place of frustrated anger. Often directed at my Heavenly Father, the one I love, when I feel like such an offering has left me short. Let down when the results don’t match up to the expectations I was supposed to have just given away. I wonder if I, if we, really know what it means to say “I give You it all...”

Do we know what we say when we give God permission to do what he will? When we give God permission to have his way with our lives? Do we realize what kind of surrender that requires? Are we prepared for the cost? We’re not just giving up our right to air, my friends! It’s our family, our friends, our health, our finances. It’s our dreams, our goals, our hopes, our expectations, our ideas. It’s our plans, our schedules, our decisions, our control. It’s everything. And that...that is dangerous permission...

No comments: