Friday, March 20, 2009

Macaroni and Peculiar Cravings

I have this sudden craving for macaroni and cheese. And not just any macaroni (although any will do) but the ones with the awkward shapes. The Kraft blue boxed dinosaur shaped macaroni and cheese.

This a very peculiar craving.

I've been sick all day. (Plus I'm actually currently fasting for a medical test tomorrow). I've wanted little to eat. In fact, what I did eat at dinner came up about 4 hours ago now. Still good. Aside from noticeable...pasta is almost my worst enemy. I've only craved noodles a time or two in the last 9 months and almost every attempt at my former love of the Italian goodness has resulted in a lost cause. Also, milk has not been my best friend. My stomach cramps under it's grips. All aside from the fact it is nearly one o'clock in the morning and now is not the time to eat even if I could!

What a terrible choice!

But if someone were to put a bowl of hot macaroni and cheese in front of me right now, I'd gladly eat it. It sounds so good. So perfect. Like just exactly what I've been wanting. But it's so out of the blue. So random. So arbitrary. Where did it come from? Such a peculiar craving.

It makes me wonder about the other things I crave. The things that just pop out of the sky and land in my lap and won't leave me be until they're satisfied. Tomorrow, if I want, I can make a box of macaroni that I will thoroughly enjoy and surely throw up later. But not all of my cravings are quite so easily addressed. Though most of them seem just as arbitrary and just as peculiar, they also seem so good, so perfect, so fulfilling. Why, like my macaroni and cheese do they also seem so impractical, unobtainable, ridiculous? Why do I want it so bad I can taste it...all the while realizing if it is ever going to be mine to have, now is not the time.

Such very peculiar cravings...

No comments: