Saturday, April 19, 2014

Death Is Easy

Jesus’ death on the cross wasn’t His greatest sacrifice.

I know that sentence comes with the air of many trending articles and blog posts. I’ll write something like “Why I still go on dates even though I’m married!” to lure you with indignation and confusion before telling you why my statement isn’t actually false even though it doesn’t mean what you think it means…

My line means exactly what it means.  It had not luring motives or hidden agendas.  Continue on in your indignation if you wish.  But I maintain what I first stated:

Jesus’ death on the cross wasn’t His greatest sacrifice.

The season of Lent always serves a very intense and profound purpose: to make me reflective.  To leave me in wonder and awe.  To be left utterly amazed by the love of the Father.  The love of God to watch the people He created to love Him, fall and fail.  And to watch the fall of man and to create a plan “he will crush your head and you will strike his heel” (Genesis 3:15)…a plan to bring those created in love and by love and for love…to bring them back to Love.  I’m left baffled by the patience.  The patience of God to wait.  To watch His people ebb and flow back and forth between obedience and insolence.  Knowing that His plan was ready but his people were not.  But, when the time was right, God sent his son, born of a woman…(Galatians 4:4).  God, on earth, with us, Emmanuel!  Those facts alone drop me to my knees…

And then comes Lent, the preparation for Easter, and somehow – despite all we know – there is more.  As is always.  God is always more than the limitations we place on Him.  God is always more than the finite limitations of human understanding…  The immediate “more” comes easily into full focus.  Jesus came to die.  Christmas and Easter are indubitably connected.  Easter cannot exist without Christmas (obvious you might say!) but nor does or can Christmas exist without Easter.  It’s been said by those much wiser, smarter, and closer to Jesus than I am that the manger existed in the shadow of the cross. 

Jesus came to die. 

And He HAD to die.  For a hundred reason which serve separately than the current scope of this post.  Jesus was always part of God’s plan for redemption and reconciliation.  Sin, which entangles and separates humankind from God (spoiler! This is important in a bit!) had to be atoned for.  A lamb without blemish needed to have blood spilled in sacrifice to a perfect God.  Prophesy was fulfilled.  Jesus, Son of God and son of man, was slain as an atonement for sin.  For my sin.  He was obedient, even obedient to death on a cross (Philippians 2). 

Jesus died for me. 

Any strength left in those dropped knees has shattered.

And they should.

But it’s not enough.

Too often those finite limitations of human understanding end there.  Our scientific minds end at the end of our understanding.  And though we are still restricted, we understand death.  We can comprehend the magnitude and finality of death.  There is nothing worse than death.

Jesus, who was without sin, was handed over to sinful men to take on the weight of sin. The weight of the sin of the whole world.  And the penalty for sin is death.  Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice for us in death on the cross. 

But He didn’t.  Jesus’ ultimate sacrifice wasn’t in His death. 

Because death is easy.

“Very rarely will anyone die for a righteousness man, though for a good man someone might possibly dare to die…”  Paul tells us in Romans 5.  He then proceeds with the same knee jello-ing truth of the reality… Christ not only died for the righteous but the unrighteous. 

And yet…people who can in no way compare to Christ have died for others.  Have sacrificed their lives for another.  It’s not unheard of… In fact, anything newsworthy to hit one right in the feels often has to do with sacrifice.  A soldier who not only died protecting a comrade but committed to service believing his life would mean life for an entire country.  The teacher who protected against an attacker. The mother who stands in the way of a bullet.  The stranger who pushes another out of the way of a moving car.  People willingly put their lives on the line for others. 

For even just one other person, we find people willing to die.

Though their intentions and motives be strewn across any sphere of reasoning and rationale, if you were to announce that one life could be sacrificed to save every other life in the known world (completely disregarding any life to come)…I believe the applications would be endless.  I don’t consider myself noble, sacrificial, or especially good.  But I do believe if I was given that option, I would take it.  I would gladly take on the punishment of death if it meant those I knew and those I didn’t could live.  It would be a sacrifice I would willingly make.  No, it wouldn’t take away the fear or the trepidation or the uncertainty.  But I would go…

And Jesus would greet me as I took my dying breath…

It is in this sentence I find my truest reality.  The love I was created for and to Know would be my eternity of reality.  It’s the story maker, the story shaper, and the story changer.

The reality of Christ frees me from the punishment of sin and death (Romans 6:22-23). See the punishment of sin is death…and the punishment of death is eternity.  An eternity without God.

Sin separates us from God (Isaiah 59:2).  Habakkuk 1:13 tells us God can’t look at evil.  And the rote Romans 3:23 reminds us that all have fallen short of the glory of God.  [Although I’m of personal opinion that while God’s holiness is incompatible with sin, is us that creates the separation, not God.  God came for the ungodly – He bridged the gap.  Our sin, however, pulls us further away from the heart of God and therefore drives a deeper wedge between where we are and where God calls us to be.]  We sin.  So we know separation from God. 

Jesus didn’t.  Jesus, without sin, was handed over to sinful men to bear the consequence of sin.  Death.  Eternal separation from God.  Jesus, who was God and who was with God and who was part of the plan from the beginning only knew the extreme presence and incarnation of the Father within Him.  We see the Holy Spirit rest upon Jesus at His baptism where God’s voice from heaven says “this is My Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased” (Luke 3:22) but God’s presence wasn’t waiting for this moment.  Jesus never had a case of confused identity.  Even as a boy when He stayed behind at the temple He questioned why His parents would come looking for Him “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” (Luke 2:49) Jesus knew intimately the presences of the One who called Himself “I AM.”

And Jesus’ dying breath wasn’t going to me met with “I AM”.  It was to be met with a complete absence of God.  When Jesus cries out with His dying breaths “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?”… “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”  (Matthew 27:46) Jesus met death with the consequence of death…the absence of God.

In so lies Jesus’ greatest sacrifice.  He was willing to not only sacrifice His earthly life but His relationship with God that we might be in relationship with God. 

He endured Hell that we might never have to experience Hell. 

He bore a separation from God which never was a part of His being that we might never have to know a day, a moment, without His presence. 

And then He conquered it.  He conquered death and He conquered Hell.  And He rose.  And He lives.  He lives that we may know Him. Lives that we be in relationship with Him.  Lives that we may serve Him.  Lives that others may be drawn to know and to serve Him.  Lives so that, as the song says, we can face tomorrow. 

He made the greatest sacrifice.


Can I but respond to faithfully give Him my life…

No comments: