Sunday, January 22, 2012

Confessions of a Kid Who is No Good at Being Sick...


I’m a terrible sick kid.

Anyone who knows my medical history now has my permission and my plead to stop laughing.

It’s true.  I don’t handle being sick well.  I just don’t feel like life really makes allotments for sickness.  And, perhaps more accurately, some mal-wired piece of me doesn’t make allotments for sickness either.  The proper answer to sickness in my life? To buck it up and work through it.  There are things more important than how I feel.

Seriously.

I could give you example after example of how this has played out but suffice it to know I had curiously exceptional attendance in college despite everything and while one time last spring I was sent home sick at lunch, I can’t actually bring to mind a time in my semi recent past where I’ve called in ill.  I’m just never sick enough to justify taking time off – of anything. 

Most people would call this sort of mindset...

Denial!

Maybe. 

I just think most things you can work through. That what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.  And some combination of “what’s the big deal?” and “I get to decide so...” Alright, I will also concede that the people pleaser in me would much rather meet up to the expectations and commitments before me than place them aside for something as dumb sounding as “I don’t feel good”.

But there’s more to being a terrible sick kid than that.

Because when I am sick, I don’t handle it well.  I become whiny and irritable.  (Yes, even more than usual, thanks for asking).  And needy – but I don’t actually let people take care of me very well.  Counterproductive?  I would say so. 

So what happens when, in the name of being sick, I’m stuck on a 10-day “vacation”? Well, confusion for one.  I was never off for 10 days in a row during cancer!  And here you’re going to tell me that some odd combination of pneumonia and cheater’s appendicitis have done the trick?  For real?  Come. On!

And yet, in my last 10 days I’ve been taught some important lessons about being sick.  Like the fact it’s okay to let people take care of you from time to time.  Not to mention, when you’re THAT sick, a blind man sees through your claims that you’re feeling fine.  I was a little caught off guard by the intensity and legitimacy of the individuals who were there to offer and provide whatever I needed long before I could ask.  And not just my mommy (who I still need to take care of me even though I’m just shy of 24 years old) either.  I didn’t have a day without at least one text asking me how I was feeling or how I was doing.  To let me know they were praying for me.  It is weird to be the one who wants to take care of everyone else and to suddenly be the one being cared for. Admittedly, I don’t do it very well...

I learned other things too.  Like (but not limited to)... it’s hard to get better if you don’t slow down.  In fact, I have spent more time in the last 10 days in my pajamas than in jeans.  Furthermore, I’ve slept more than I’ve been awake. (Anyone who knows me can sight these as not just “woah, really?” statements but NOTEABLE accomplishments).  I’ve read.  I’ve watched movies.  I’ve had phone dates. I’ve made it through the comics every morning and the evening news every night. I’ve spent some time in my journal and I’ve managed to do a little reflecting.  Life has been soooo slow.  But good. 

In the end, the time was almost...healthy.  Healthy enough that I find myself in moderate pain (we won’t talk about how many mg of Ibuprofen I’m allowed to take in conjunction with Tylenol to reach this functional status.  Not important) and am anxious to be back to work with my colleagues and the camp I have come to love and the kids that always have a way of stealing my heart. Blast them!  I am antsy and grumpy that I won’t be there to greet the new group when they arrive tomorrow so that I can make it to my post-op appointment instead.  Eager to get back to being too busy and trying too hard to take care of the world...it sounds almost refreshing!

In the end...I’m still a terrible sick kid. 

I don’t handle being sick very well and I don’t anticipate I ever will. 

On the plus side...I’m tonsils and a kidney shy of losing all the body parts there really are to lose (I’m a gallbladder, a thyroid, four wisdom teeth, 32 lymph nodes and now an appendix down)... so that she keep me settled for a while.  Plus, I’m on enough antibiotics to kill bacteria within a 100ft radius of my body AND yep, cashed in and made sure I got my flu shot before I left the hospital.  I intend to ride healthy for the rest of this blasted winter season. 

If not...

Call the Missing Parts Club.  I am now a Gold Card Member and they’ll be forced to deal with my incredulously grumpy persona and accompanying dripping nose.  : ) 

No comments: