Tuesday, February 16, 2010

When the Days are Long...

I have been awake for almost 22 hours. It is just a hair shy of midnight right now. In the last 22 hours, I have been in class for 3, meetings for 2, and a Puerto Rico sewing project night thing for 3. (If you're keeping track, we're now up to 8). I spent 2 hours putting together things for my building, writing e-mails, confirming maintenance reports and putting up posters. (10). I have spent somewhere in the ballpark of 6 hours on homework (16) and an hour getting to where I need to go and back (17). The other five hours? Listening. Phone conversation, two chat messages, five in person conversation, one e-mail, two texts. (That's 11 in all if you're still counting) All from different people. I became the ears to listen and the shoulders to bear everything else. I didn't sign up for this job. As someone up before 3am this morning, I didn't want this job today. I didn't understand why the kid who couldn't string words together to make a sentence looked like the target for everyone's bad days, bad lifes, bad moments, and by-the-ways-so-you-can-know's. The introvert in me desperately wanted my own little world. I wasn't prepared to deal with everyone else's. I can hardly, today, deal with my own. And every person I could think to bring my life to - to help me deal with the day I could not, were people who's days I myself had been asked to carry. It's hard to be the confidant and feel like there is no one for you yourself to confide in. But it's probably just my psychosis talking - when the days are long, my exhaustion places me there...

No comments: